It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown is an animated television special that aired on CBS on May 16, 1983. It was the 25th special based on the comic strip Peanuts written by Charles M. Schulz, and was directed by Bill Melendez. It's a compilation of various stories featuring the Peanuts gang. Along with 1982's special A Charlie Brown Celebration, it inspired the Saturday morning TV series The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show.
Plot[edit | edit source]
The special is comprised of eight individual stories adapted from the comic strip:
- Sack: Charlie Brown begins having hallucinations, seeing baseballs everywhere, and develops a rash on the back of his head resembling the stitchings of a baseball. He begins wearing a paper bag over his head to hide it. His doctor suggests he spends two weeks at summer camp to solve the problem. The camp kids elect him Camp President and begin calling him "Sack". He is highly respected and idolized by the other kids. When he feels his rash has gone away, her removes the mask and goes to check on the sunrise. Instead of a baseball, he sees the sun as the face of Alfred E. Neuman.
- Caddies: Peppermint Patty gets Marcie and herself jobs as caddies at a country club, but the golfers they work for are constantly fighting, so they wind up quitting after four holes. After their supervisor gets a cut of their money, they wind up with 90 cents each. Marcie wants to spend her money on a golf ball and join the tour.
- Kite: A tree keeps eating Charlie Brown's kites, so he retaliates by taking a big bite out of the tree. This results in the Environmental Protection Agency writing him a letter, and Lucy thinks he's going to end up in prison, so he runs away. He winds up in another neighborhood and agrees to coach a failing baseball team of little kids. He sleeps in a cardboard box at night and spends the days teaching the team, which names itself The Goose Eggs. Their first game is against his old team, and Lucy isn't pleased. Linus informs Charlie that the kite-eating tree blew down in a storm and there's no longer any evidence against him, so he can come back home.
- Song: Lucy continually pesters Schroeder while he tries to play his piano.
- Sally: Sally can't seem to impress her teacher with either her schoolwork or her humor.
- Butterfly: A butterfly lands on Peppermint Patty's nose while she and Marcie are relaxing in the grass. When she falls asleep, Marcie removes the butterfly blows it away. She tells Patty that it turned into an angel and flew away, which makes Patty start to think she was chosen to deliver a message to the world. Ignoring Marcie's confession that she made up the story, Patty tries to tell the story to all her friends, numerous religious institutions and a call-in talk show, but no one's interested. When the butterfly returns, Marcie suggests the angel was demoted back to a butterfly.
- Blanket: When Lucy suggests destroying Linus' blanket, the blanket retaliates and attacks her, so she buries the blanket somewhere. Linus becomes very ill before starting to dig up the ground everywhere. Snoopy finds the blanket with a dowsing rod and returns it. Lucy takes it again and makes it into a kite, which she accidentally lets go of. Snoopy finds it this time by using his ears as helicopter blades and rescuing it from an island.
- Woodstock: Woodstock finds numerous ways to inadvertently disturb Snoopy's nap.
Voice cast[edit | edit source]
- Michael Catalano as Charlie Brown
- Angela Lee as Lucy van Pelt
- Earl (Rocky) Reilly as Linus van Pelt
- Cindi Reilly as Sally Brown
- Brent Hauer as Peppermint Patty
- Michael Dockery as Marcie
- Brad Schachter as Schroeder
- Brian Jackson as a camp kid
- Jason Castellano as a camp kid
- Gerard Goyette Jr. as the caddymaster
- Jenny Lewis as Ruby
- Johnny Graves as Austin
- Joel Graves as Leland
- Jason Muller as Milo
- Kevin Brando as a camp kid
- Brandon Crane as a camp kid
- John Hiestand as Joe Mouth
- Bill Melendez as Snoopy & Woodstock
|ABC||Baby Makes Five (1 2 3 4) • Webster (1) • Convicted • Life With Lucy (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13) • The Charmings (1) • Baby M • Mr. Belvedere (1) • Growing Pains (1) • Just the Ten of Us (1) • Have Faith (1) • Roseanne (1) • Free Spirit (1) • Talk to Me • Once and Again (1)|
|CBS||It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown • The Twilight Zone (1) • Who Gets the Friends? • My Father, My Son • Brooklyn Bridge (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33) • Runaway Father • Murder, She Wrote (1) • Sweet Temptation|
|NBC||Suburban Beat • Hell Town (1) • The Golden Girls (1 2) • A Place at the Table • Shannon's Deal (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14) • Baywatch (1) • Perry Mason: The Case of the Defiant Daughter • Line of Fire: The Morris Dees Story • Daddy|
|Showtime||Uncle Tom's Cabin • Rebel Highway: Runaway Daughters|
|Syndication||Card Sharks • Superstar Kids Challenge|
|The Disney Channel||A Friendship in Vienna|
|Fox||Get Real (1)|